Saturday, May 21, 2011

The beginning of the end of the world - Also Pathfinder.

It's the beginning of the end of the world (Yet again) so I thought I'd make a post to celebrate, and who knows, it could be my last post. You never know - backwoods hicks that spend too much time reading the Bible (without realizing that it says that God will never let it be known WHEN the world will end) might actually be right this time, but I'm not holding my breath.

Personally, me and my friends believe it's going to be a Zombie Apocalypse, because it seems most obvious. What better way to end the world than an awesome flesh eating party with shot guns and a legion of undead minions?

Who knows, he could've known that my generation has been planning for a Zombie Apocalypse ever since we saw Dawn of the Dead (The original, mind you) at the dead of night at the age of 11. In this day and age, if a Zombie apocalypse happened, we'd all be way too ready for it.

Anyway, I've nothing to really rant about, nor do I have much to talk about. I was handed something called the Atheist Bible by a Baptist minister, but it's not what you expect - It's really just a book that tries to convert Atheists. Maybe he thinks I was atheist? Or maybe he just wanted to get rid of it. Who knows, but I'm not gonna sit here and talk about it. That would take me caring enough to read through it thoroughly and write out nearly every silly thing it says.

Fuck man, I've nothing to asinine to bitch about this time around. Or else I'd be 2,000 words deep into an article about something that doesn't matter. I mean, I did get angry at GIMP, because it's not doing what I want correctly. Seriously, when I got to go into a program that was outdated in 1999 to correct something on my work, you know I've given up trying to understand GIMP. Not that I don't understand GIMP. I just don't understand it fully...

Mostly because I don't want to. Kind of waiting for the day that I can buy me Photoshop and use that once again. <3

I should probably just download it like any regular person, but I prefer not to. If it's gonna be my art, I want to have gotten my tools via legal means. I don't know, it's a moral thing.

I guess I can talk about my latest interest in the Pen and Paper RPG scene, and that is Pathfinder.



What is Pathfinder? It's a D20 game system based on the 3.5 rules. It basically modifies and updates the revised 3rd edition rules, and honestly, it does a pretty good job of it. It's also backwards compatible with the 3rd edition dnd books, so you won't lose much as far as character and story design going into it if you still have a 3rd edition game going and you want to change to this.

But I'm not going to get into the gritty details of the book - I haven't have that much experience with it, and I don't really have interest in doing a review. All I can say is that so far, it's awesome. But there's no harm in talking about it while I have nothing to talk about.

Being someone who was introduced to DnD through the 3.5 rules, I found this to be really cool. I've read a bit of the 4th edition and never really got into it. This seems more up my alley since it not only allows you to keep the fantasy setting, but expands on a ruleset (that I'm used to) that has since been abandoned for a different version of the D20 system.

Plus, the art in this book is amazing. I love the look so much better than what's in the original DnD books. While they do have some good art work in the DnD books - I've felt that it was always a been bland as far as fantasy goes. Sort of a "too traditional" high fantasy setting. With Pathfinder, it feels it adds an ethnic look to the high fantasy setting, giving it more flavor. The look of the Barbarian in the class section, for example, looks like a girl that would have been fighting for her life in the Conan series of stories, and the Cleric has a very Middle Eastern look.

I had seen this game when it was first released in 2009, but at that time, I was into Exalted, and I didn't really have an interest in deviating from the Storyteller system.

But my brother let me barrow this book the other day, and so far, I'm kind of impressed.
They've addressed some of the issues I had with the original revised Booklet, one of which is making Sorcerers more interesting , so much so that my newest character will be a Barbarian/Sorcerer multiclass.

(ALSO AWWW SHIT I HEARD LIGHTNING. END OF THE WORLD IS COMING GUYZ)

Anyway, the book seems solid. Not only has it done a pretty good job with updating 3.5, but you can pretty much use just the core rulebook to play the damn game.

That's always something that turned me away from DnD - It always felt like that you needed the Players handbook, the monster manual, the DM book, and a host of errata in order to play DnD. At least - this is the impression I got from an Exalted player standpoint.

With Exalted, you also only need 1 book, the main book. Everything else is just expansion material, although you need the expanded books if you want to play something cooler than a Solar - I prefer playing Lunars and Alchemicals myself.

So, only needing one book is a huge plus, especially since if you're the type to use miniatures while playing RPGs, you can save some money by worrying about other books later.

But alas, my brother is graduating college tomorrow, so I gotta get to bed.
Maybe I'll post character profiles later, since I've got nothing else to do with this blog at the moment.

Nothing says "geek" like posting your imaginary characters from RPGs.




No comments:

Post a Comment